Located between Lincoln City and Newport on Highway 101, Depoe Bay, Oregon has a rugged coastline and a walkable small town feel. The world’s smallest harbor, Depoe Bay has downtown shops and restaurants together on one side of the street while the opposite side is lined with a sea wall allowing for unobstructed ocean views. Known as the whale watching capital, you might see resident gray whales feeding near the shore, particularly during the summer. Whether you choose Whale Watcher’s Point, Spouting Horn One, Two, or Three, or Waves and Whales for your stay in the neighborhood, there’s plenty to do on your next weekend getaway. Here are a few ideas:
- Fortify yourself for the day with coffee or tea from Arch Rock Caffè or Left Coast Coffee Co., or if you want a more substantial breakfast, stop in Gracie’s Sea Hag or Whale Bites Cafe.
- Get on a boat! Dockside Charters offers exciting whale watching and sightseeing excursions on a daily basis, weather permitting, as well as ocean fishing adventures.
- Take a walk and admire the view. Depoe Bay has many ocean view access points throughout town: Whale Park, Graham Street Scenic Lookout Trail, Scenic Park, and Cat Lick Rock Park.
- Watch for whales. You can catch a glimpse of a spouting whale from just about anywhere in Depoe Bay, but there’s a large viewing deck at the Whale Watching Center that is the perfect spot. The center is equipped with binoculars for visitors and displays facts about whales and information on what swimming patterns you might see.
- Grab a beer. The Horn Public House and Brewery offers Craft Beer, stunning views, fresh seafood, and handcrafted pizzas.
- Go shopping! As you stroll around the neighborhood, stop in Raven Rocks Gallery for fine arts & crafts, handspun yarns, and hand-cut stones. The Purple Starfish offers home decor, jewelry, and fashion, and stop in Ainslee’s for saltwater taffy and other tasty sweet treats.
- Enjoy delicious meals! Some of the best dining on the coast can be found in Depoe Bay. Tidal Raves serves creative seafood dishes with fresh Northwest ingredients and an unbeatable oceanfront setting. Bay View Thai Kitchen serves authentic Thai cuisine with a view. Restaurant Beck is a sophisticated inn restaurant serving locally sourced American cuisine and panoramic ocean views.
Visit our website to learn more about other sweet homes where you can stay relaxed while you explore the Depoe Bay area and all it has to offer.